Burial in a National Cemetery
Burial in a national cemetery is open to all members of the armed forces and Veterans who have met minimum active duty service requirements and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. Their spouse, widow or widower, minor children, and, under certain conditions, unmarried adult children with disabilities, may also be eligible for burial. Eligible spouses and children may be buried even if they predecease the Veteran. Members of the reserve components of the armed forces who die while on active duty or while performing training duty, or were eligible for retired pay, may also be eligible for burial.
- Grave liner
Note: A grave liner does not seal like a burial vault. If you choose to purchase a burial vault you may be entitled to a cost allowance. Veteran benefits do not include an allowance for urn vaults.
- Opening and closing of the grave
- Marker setting
- Perpetual care as part of a national shrine.
- Military Honors
Military Honors may include a rifle salute, playing of Taps, and the presentation of the US Flag.
A Few Exceptions:
There are circumstances that may prevent eligibility.
- Children 18 years of age or older are not eligible to be buried at a National Cemetery unless they continue to be dependent due to mental or physical reasons.
- The spouse or children of a veteran may specify and/or notify a National Cemetery they do not wish to be buried there.
- In the case of divorce, the former spouse of the veteran gives up the right to be buried with the veteran.
- Certain other restrictions may apply. For more information, please visit www.VA.gov
If You Choose a Private Cemetery
Many veterans choose to use a private cemetery for final disposition. It is Important to know this limits the veteran’s benefits to a US Flag and a grave marker. It is the family or estate's responsibility to pay for the setting of the marker. There are no burial benefits for children and/or spouses at a private cemetery.
We offer two vault options for those who choose burial in a private cemetery:
Option 1 includes:
The Veteran burial vault and a companion granite base** drilled for a government marker. (Level 1. Size: 4'-6" x 1'-4" x 0'-4") One bronze plate also included.
Option 2 Includes:
The Salute burial vault and a companion granite base** drilled for a government marker. (Level 1. Size: 4'-6" x 1'-4" x 0'-4") One bronze plate also included.
*Prices do not include vault delivery and set-up fees, marker setting fees, or other applicable taxes. Also does not include grave opening/closing or any fees charged by the cemetery.
**Other options are available for cemeteries that do not allow this type of permanent memorial. Please visit with your funeral director to learn more.